KNOW YOUR DOCTOR
“ Wherever the art of medicine is loved, there is also a love of humanity…”- Hippocrates
These are the words of father of medicine -Hippocrates . After all,your family doctor is your holy grail. He is the one you run to in ill health. He is the one who is nothing sort of the saviour in white coat…
However, in the modern era, the role of a doctor has gone through a role reversal. If one opens the newspapers or even the social media, one may see that there are number of people who suffer from ill health or even die due to callous attitude of the doctors. So,in these critical times, it’s vital to know your medicine man or woman before you seek his consultation or treatment . Here are few pointers that are noteworthy.
Some standard things need to be known before consulting a doctor such as –
- Is he or she licensed to practice medicine ?
- What is his medical training and from where did he pursue it ?
- Is he or she certified in the field of medicine you are consulting him for?
- Does he accept the medical insurance you are paying for ?
Where to get information from ?
- State medical boards- One can contact the state medical board by phone or by web in order to know that if the doctor you are consulting has relevant information. The public websites give information about the disciplinary actions against malpractices in medicine.
- Medical societies – One can get relevant information by contacting the various operating medical societies. These societies give you reference about the physician.
Correct interpretation of information
- One needs to have correct information about the doctor. Now most people depend on the internet to get the relevant knowledge about their physician. However, there is a loophole. One such example of a loophole is that a particular doctor may have a lawsuit filed against him. In the medical world this is not an uncommon practice. However, what the people fail to notice, that such a lawsuit may not always be successful. This means the doctor is being maliced for no reason at all. So,what needs to be done, is correct interpretation of facts.
Make the correct choice
- It’s important to make the correct choice after you have seen through all the information. So, after you have found out the doctor who can solve your problem, make an appointment and prepare a list of questionnaires you want to ask him. This way you will be extra sanguine that the doctor you chose is actually your saviour in white coat. Period.